/* /* Mindless Meanderings of a Curly Haired Girl: Remember the Time my Identity Got Stolen

Mindless Meanderings of a Curly Haired Girl

It's got all the right elements: dark comedy, a great female lead, and a bizarre storyline.

Friday, August 17, 2007

Remember the Time my Identity Got Stolen

I received a letter in the mail (at my parents' address) claiming I had requested in increase in credit. As far as I knew, I didn't have a Bank of America account, let alone request more credit to it. So i called the bank and apparently someone had been using my CC that i got freshman year of college and that I haven't used for 5 years. The person had used up all the credit, and the card was carrying a little over $3000 balance. I had to go to bank of america and talk to the man there, and he was very nice, made sure I was really who I said I was and then he called the CC Fraud Dept and they erased the balance and canceld the card. Now I will have to fill out a fraud afidavit and there will be an investigation. I found it interesting because they had the account marked as "possible fraud"

The reason I didn't know that I had a BOA account was because the Syracuse Athletics CC I had was an MBNA owned card and apparently it merged with BOA.

The card must have been mailed to my parents' house and stolen at some point between being sent and before my folks checked the mail.

They were very nice and they explained that once the afidavit is filled out that they remove all information about it from my credit report - currently it says "Fraud" on there, so apparently that is not that *I* was causing Fraud, but that they suspect fraud on the account so it most likely doesn't factor into my credit. Also, there is only one account - so I think it is most likely that the person who was using it only had the card number and my name - not my SSN or anything like that - because if he had that info he could have changed the mailing adress and what not - which obviously he didn't.

I think that overall things will work out just fine and that this happens to people all the time.

I will do a credit check in the next few weeks just to make sure and then I will do another one after the fraud investigation is completed.

BOA had no issues with wiping the balance of the card completely and didn't question me at all in terms of whether the charges were mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home