/* /* Mindless Meanderings of a Curly Haired Girl: Going Green - Earth Day/Week Thoughts

Mindless Meanderings of a Curly Haired Girl

It's got all the right elements: dark comedy, a great female lead, and a bizarre storyline.

Friday, April 25, 2008

Going Green - Earth Day/Week Thoughts

I noticed today on whdh.com that gas prices on Marth's Vineyard are $4.00/gallon. This immediately makes me furious, not over the price of the gas, but over the people in the Vineyard/Nantucket Region. A few years back, the nation's first wind farm was to be built off of Nantucket Sound (the area between the Vineyard, Nantucket, and Cape Cod). And do you know what happened? They refused to let them build because: "The problem is that they're going to be visible. And they're going to be visible at night and they're going to be visible during the day and they're going to be lit up," said State Senator Rob O'Leary. This folks, is what your "tree-hugging" democrats say when people propose a renewable energy source. The reality is that you would hardly be able to see the wind farm from the beach.

So, to be honest, I am happy that all those people have to pay $4.00 a gallon for gas.

See the problem is, that when it comes down to it, going green is only a priority if it's convenient. Am *I* the greenest person? No. Do I think recycling is a farce? 80% yes. Do I think it takes more natural resources to pick up, breakdown, and recycle most consumer product? Yes. But do I try to think of things logically? Yes.

For all of you who say I am not 'green' enough, talk to me after you've purchased a hybrid car. Or maybe it's not very convenient for you to do that?

I remain bitter that the very people who are supposed to be fighting for our earth pick and choose when it is a good time to be green. If everyone would buy a hybrid car, maybe we wouldn't have to keep going to war over oil -a resource we refuse to drill for in our own country because of the wildlife surrounding possible drilling sites. I love cute animals as much as the next person... but I'd rather have all our young men and women safe at home.

I know it's not as cut and dry as what I make it out to be. But it is a matter of convenience... I never saw Al Gore's movie "An Inconvenient Truth" but at least he picked the right word, "inconvenient" he is right about that... what a shame that the perfect view of your beach might be skewed somewhere miles off shore, that would be inconvenient indeed.

Until everyone (elephants and donkeys) focuses on what is important - the future of our earth... we're never going to be green.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home